The Autry of the American West brings together the stories of all peoples of the American West, connecting the past with the present to inspire our shared future.
AUTRY MUSEUM OF THE AMERICAN WEST:
Located in beautiful Griffith Park, the Autry features unique galleries filled with paintings, sculptures, film memorabilia, photographs, historic firearms and so much more all home to the American West. The Autry’s collection of more than 600,000 pieces of art and cultural objects includes one of the largest and most significant of Native American materials in the United States.
The Autry presents a wide range of events and public programs including lectures, films, theatre performances, festivals and family activities. Autry is a place for the local community to gather and enjoy things like the American Indian Arts Festival, Sizzling Summer Nights, Family Play Space and Native Voices performances.
Native Voices is the only Actors’ Equity theatre company in the Nation devoted to developing and producing new works for the stage by Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and First Nations playwrights. Over the past 30 years, Native Voices has become the cornerstone of American Theatre in cultivating opportunities for Native playwrights.
The Autry Museum is an educational institution that conducts research, provides academic scholarships and is involved in educational outreach. The Autry provides school tours and curriculum to local educational institutions, including Title I schools in Los Angeles.
STATEMENT OF VALUES:
The following values guide and support the work of Autry staff, trustees, and volunteers:
- Inclusion- Multiple perspectives inform and enrich the Autry’s exploration of the human experience in the American West.
- Education- Inspired learning has the power to expand thinking, improve lives, and shape the future.
- Respect- A thriving society depends on civil discourse; the Autry encourages respectful dialogue about critical topics.
- Collaboration- Partnerships are essential; the Autry’s best work results from collaboration across the museum and with the broader community.
- Connection- The most meaningful and memorable experiences have a personal dimension.
- Innovation- By embracing and leveraging new technologies and approaches to history, the Autry will continue to strengthen its programming and operations.
View the Autry’s 2018-2024 Strategic Plan to learn more about the museum’s mission, values, goals and objectives.
AMERICAN ALLIANCE OF MUSEUMS (AAM) CERTIFIED:
The Autry is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), the field’s primary vehicle for quality assurance, self-regulation and public accountability. AAM-accredited museums have demonstrated they meet standards, best practices and have shown themselves to be core educational entities who are good stewards of the collections and resources they hold in public trust. Of the nation’s estimated 33,000 museums, approximately 1,075 are currently accredited.